Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Headmaster's Office - A Tour of the Academy

Welcome back students. I hope your break was sufficient. We've a lot of ground to cover today, so let's get started. This giant room here in front of us is the Mess Hall. This is where you'll be having your meals. It's also the Auditorium.

This blog is going to be separated by the types of posts I'm going to write. For instance, as you can see, the title of the blog starts with Headmaster's Office. The Office posts are going to be largely personal posts from myself, about my gaming life or just stuff that's going on in my life in general (I know, boring, right?). The Mess Hall blog posts are going to be open forum questions. I'll give a topic of some sort, and give my opinion on the matter. For Mess Hall posts more than anything, I'd like your input. Feel free to comment on any other blog post I give, but the Mess Hall is for debate.

Next up, we have the courtyard. Rogues, Fighters, Cavaliers...This is where you'll be spending most of your time training. As you can see, we have the training dummies over there...

Courtyard blog posts are going to focus on a topic dealing with the martial classes. We'll go over the topic at hand, come up with some ideas around it, and find a way to implement it into your current game. For example, let's say the topic was rogue talents. I might look at all of them, or just a few of them. I may give some examples as to what situations certain rogue talents you thought you'd never use might be absolutely amazing. Maybe I'll go over something extremely obvious, something that new players get to use and abuse to their hearts content. Martial Classes also include the Monk and the Ranger.

Over here on your left we have the Hall of Summoning. Summoning may be a bit misleading, however...This is for you wizards and sorcerers out there...I also hear we have a couple of witches and magi amongst us? Delightful! The last time I ran into a witch, hah! Let me tell you...

The Hall of Summoning is the Arcane equivalent of the Courtyard. This is also where the bards will go to practice their music, their orations, or what have you. The laboratories for the Alchemists are located in this room.

And here we are in the chapel. As you can see, there are no pews or chairs for you to sit in. If you were paying attention, neither did the Hall of Summoning, or the Courtyard. That's right. Those of you who get your power from the deities, this is where you'll be learning. You'll note there's some room for you Paladins and Clerics who can't get along to bash each other's skulls in...

Oracles, Clerics, Paladins, Inquisitors and Druids all find their training grounds here, like the Fighters in the Courtyard and the Sorcerers in the Hall of Summoning. 

Remember this room? It's the one where you all met me for the first time. The Admissions Office. Hopefully, I'll never see any of you in it again, for this is where you'll be receiving your walking papers if you don't live up to my expectations...

The Admissions Office is kind of an interesting one. This is where we'll be going over character concepts, whether they be very common, such as the Human Sword and Board Fighter, or completely unheard of, like the frontline fighting Halfling Wizard. I'll build a character, either of my own volition or from some requests by the readers, maybe even give the character some sort of backstory, and then we can work together to tweak the character a bit, so you can feel free to use them in your own games. This is going to be a fun and interesting challenge for all of us, I think. Especially the Halfling Wizard.

I'm also going to take the time to point this out now. I will never try to insinuate that you should prioritize one option over another, or that any particular options are useless, and should never appear on a character sheet. If optimization is your cup of tea, so be it. Ignore the posts that create characters with possible significant defects. In my opinion, those characters are some of the most fun to play. It's obvious that the Halfling Wizard has overcome great challenges to survive this long. What's his story? Is he the living embodiment of why it's better to be lucky than smart? Or perhaps he's exactly the opposite. That is what I find fun about these characters.

And here we have the War Room. This is where my strategists and tacticians will thrive. You see that large table before us? There's a map. This is where scenarios will be presented before you, and you will be required to defeat the challenges with, ahem...minimal casualties. My leaders will be spending quite a bit of time in this room...

Another interesting one, the War Room is, as our Headmaster was explaining, the scenarios. Sort of. I might drop some problem for you to solve, like an encounter with very limited resources, or a puzzle, or something of the sort. But I believe that mainly the War Room will be a place for battlefield theory, perhaps some rules clarifications on the dizzying procedures of combat, that sort of thing. Maybe I will drop a CR X encounter every so often that you guys could incorporate into your own game. Again, comments steer the direction this blogship is going.

As you can see...Construction is still going on...We haven't quite...BLAST IT, COULD YOU STOP HAMMERING UNTIL I FINISH TALKING!?...Thank you. We haven't quite finished the school just yet. More classrooms and buildings will be added later, as our school grows and thrives. For now, I think we have what we need to kill and dism- I mean teach you all what you need to know. FEEL FREE TO CONTINUE HAMMERING NOW! Moving on...

 As our headmaster has informed us, this blog is still growing and expanding. Though you've taken a quick tour of the place, there are still many different places we can go. Perhaps the basement to discuss house rules? An Arcane Laboratory to discover new spells? Beyond the scope of what I'm doing at the moment, but definitely not out of the realm of possibility. If you guys have any ideas as to what I should add, just let me know.

And this, students, is the dormitories, and our last stop on the tour. This is where you'll be sleeping. Unpack your belongings, get settled in, and report to your instructors within the hour. Dismissed.

 The Dorms posts are going to be guest blogs from our readers, in case any of you want to chime in and drop us some interesting information, feel free. Just send me an email at soldiersolidus@gmail.com and we can have a little chat about it. Thanks for reading you guys. See you next time for the class feature on Barbarians.

1 comment:

  1. I think this is a great structure for your blog.

    I'm excited to see some of your unique character builds. One of the reasons why I prefer rolling dice for stats as opposed to point-buy is that it gives you a chance to make the most out of what you have, whether it's an amazing set of stats, or a sub-par set.

    ReplyDelete